We look forward to seeing everyone in Chicago later this month! While invaluable, ISES recognizes the climate change impacts of such in-person meetings and is working towards carbon neutral meetings. In the interim, we are committed to making more sustainable choices wherever possible, including by:
- prioritizing venues -such as the Chicago Hilton- that are located near public transportation hubs and have a strong commitment to sustainability, including implementation of energy-efficient practices, waste management and reduction strategies, and other environmentally conscious initiatives.
- utilizing vendors – such as our #ISES2023 caterers- that are able to prioritize sustainable and locally sourced options to support local businesses and farmers, reduce transportation emissions, and minimize the environmental impacts
- going digital – we have committed to a digital-first approach for conference materials, such that all conference materials, including schedules, abstracts, and presentations, will be available online or through digital platforms.
While we are taking steps to reduce our carbon footprint as an organization, we also believe that individual actions can collectively make a significant difference. Here are some suggestions from our sustainability team to help each of us mitigate the carbon footprint of ISES2023:
- Use Sustainable Transit: Take public transit, carpool, and walk or cycle where possible. DYK that our venue is located within walking distance of the hotel. If flying is necessary, consider offsetting your travel emissions through reputable carbon offset programs.
- Reduce Waste: Minimize single-use plastic waste whenever possible. Be sure to pack a reusable bottle! Use digital materials (notes, boarding passes, reservations) as much as possible and use recycled paper for printing when necessary. Make use of the provided recycling bins and composting facilities.
- Minimize Energy Consumption: Be mindful of your energy usage by turning off lights, electronics, and air conditioning when they are not needed. Also, make use of natural light and ventilation when possible.
Thank you for your support in making this event environmentally responsible. As environmental exposure science professionals, we have a high level of knowledge and awareness of causes and consequences of climate change and therefore responsibility for mitigation. Together, we can create a brighter, more sustainable future! If you are interested in helping ISES with sustainability efforts, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.